A positive work culture doesn’t form overnight. It takes time to invest in relationships with your employees or coworkers! The time you spend getting to know the people you work with is guaranteed to reap benefits, including increased productivity and responsiveness to change. Office retreats are an ideal time to connect as a group, but don’t wait until one is planned to get to know the workers around you.
One simple step towards creating a strong and happy team is asking people questions. Most people love to talk about themselves! Try not to assume your coworker doesn’t like you if you’re met with resistance at first. He/she may simply be shy, or even nervous. But chances are you will eventually hit on a topic they can’t resist, whether it’s their pet, tattoos, or favorite foods.
The next time you bump into someone at the water cooler or go out for happy hour after work, try asking one of these friendly questions:
Questions about their personality:
- What talent are you most proud of?
- Do you know your Meyers-Briggs?
- What are your pet peeves?
- Do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert?
- Are you an animal person?
Questions about their hobbies:
- What’s your favorite tv show to binge watch?
- What’s your favorite meal to cook yourself?
- What kinds of book do you enjoy reading?
Questions about travel:
- What places are on your travel bucket list?
- Do you prefer to fly or drive when you travel?
- Where would you move to if you could bring your friends and family with you?
Questions about their past:
- What was the best date you ever went on?
- Who was your celebrity crush when you were in high school?
- What subjects did you most enjoy in school?
- What did you enjoy most about your last job?